The beautiful old Railway Station was erected by Gambling & Son and opened in 1909. In 1985 the Moonta Railway Station became part of the Moonta Mines State Heritage Area and is a stately and very special part of Moonta’s history. The Old Railway Station now houses the Moonta Visitor Information Centre, which provides a comprehensive range of tourist information and is manned by a group of friendly, experienced and knowledgeable volunteers. There is also a large variety of affordable, high quality souvenirs and giftware available through this venue. There is ample car, coach and caravan parking in the area.
On special display, located within the grounds is the 1914 Moonta Memorial Gun. The display holds a fully restored 105mm Light Field Howitzer used in WWI, and a number of other articles with historical significance.
The area received National Heritage listing in 2017.
The building is open daily from 9 am until 5 pm.